Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Loving with Actions



Last Friday I heard that some people that we know were moving. They have three young children so I asked my husband, Roy if we could go help. He said he would go for the morning and I convinced him to take my 14 year old son. I couldn't go as my other two girls needed chauffeuring around town. My son wasn't too happy at first but I know it was the right thing to do. We did not have to help. We were not asked. We have not gone to that church in over a year and we live 45 minutes away -- but it was the right thing to do.

You see, I remember trying to move a three bedroom house when I was eight months pregnant. We had let all our friends know and the church know and when moving day came, only one of Roy's friends from Toronto showed up. (He drove five hours to help us).

I tried calling some people but everyone was busy. I can't begin to tell you how disappointed I felt. The crew included my husband, his friend, myself -- as big as a house, and my twelve year old. She helped me look after my four year old and three year old while I moved boxes etc.

We somehow did it. I had everything packed up which helped. I was praying for supernatural help most of the day. I was crying out, "Lord! Where's the body when we need it?" That was a 12 hour move with a 29 foot UHaul van. It took us three trips. I drove because I'm used to driving big vehicles. We cleaned the house later. We didn't even unpack, as we were too exhausted. Nobody got hurt which was a miracle.

Ever since then, I make sure we show up when people are moving. I am not going to let that happen to someone else!

I am not sure why, but so many churches do not have a community spirit, when it comes to work. I'm not sure what to do about it. I really started praying that God would raise up the men out of their complacency. There's nothing wrong with a good day's work. You feel like you accomplished something at the end of it. Best of all, you make better friends when you work and take breaks together.

The church we are in now is different. Two of the members are great at calling the men to get help for big projects. That blesses me so much! The ladies are great at pulling together for funerals, baby showers and the like, but it really makes a difference when the men pull together. It gives me hope for Revival in our area because Revival is a huge team effort.

Anyhow, that's what was on my heart today. Incidentally, my son was quite happy after moving because Roy took him to Canadian Tire, to buy him a badminton racket for the school team. He was telling his dad how he whooped them on Monday. LOL!
"Dear children, let us not love with words or tongue but with actions and in truth." (1John 3:18)

No comments: