Friday, May 28, 2010

What about Laughter?




I am sure most of you are familiar with the Toronto Blessing where many people got touched by laughter and jerking as Holy Spirit did some work on people. If you are like me you might have been a little skeptical until you got hit with it yourself and then you know that there's no way that was you.

I have been told I am too serious by my family for years. I live with a a family of comedians and I guess I always figured that I was supposed to be the 'straight man'. The one that all the comics feed off of. Well it's the same for church. I love laughter but I always come back to seriousness rather quickly. My natural demeanor is not laughter.

Last night I got a word from Holy Spirit, "sighing and sorrow must flee away". I had been asking for more joy because Kevin Dedmon in his book "Unlocking Heaven" was talking about how as we are filled to overflowing with Holy Spirit's laughter, we are supposed to leak out. Could it be that one of the ways to tell if we are overflowing is if we have supernatural laughter?

I have cried for years in God's presence and I told the Lord that I would cry forever for Him, if it meant His presence was on me, because I knew what it was like to hurt so bad that you couldn't cry. At the same time, I don't want to get caught in an old wineskin. If Holy Spirit is doing a new thing I want to be a part of it.

It is not the most comfortable thing to do. I am really having to let go of more inhibitions. Stupid really; as if sniffling (loudly) in the worship service was any more dignified! Funny how we can get caught up in our own little traditions.

Jesus said, "If anyone is thirsty, let him come to Me and drink. Whoever believes in Me, as the Scripture has said, streams of living water will flow from within him. By this He meant the Spirit, whom those who believed in Him were later to receive." John. 7:37-39

I am thirsty so I want to be filled every day. I have heard two leaders target a spirit of heaviness attacking me. I am wondering if that's why I find it hard to stay in joy and laughter. I have heard about people laughing for days as they got touched at Toronto.

I remember a time when I was so hungry that when I saw strangers laughing at the front of a service I got up from my seat and went to get some. They weren't strangers for long!

Let's ask for more joy in the journey of walking daily with Holy Spirit. I am still learning how to recognize the trademark of this spirit of heaviness so I can get rid of it. I believe the Lord gave me a big key last night in Isaiah 35.
If you suspect that you have been attacked by a spirit of heaviness or depression you might want to declare these promises over yourself too.

THank You Lord that I have been ransomed by You.
Thank You Lord, that I enter Jerusalem (and Your kingdom/presence) with singing.
THank You Lord that I am crowned with everlasting joy.
Thank You Lord that all sorrow and mourning must disappear now in Jesus' name!
Thank You Lord that I am filled with Your joy and gladness. Hallelujah! (Is. 35:10)
"He gave me the garment of Praise for the spirit of heaviness,"(Is. 61:3)
Thank You Lord that You "have anointed me with the oil of gladness above my fellows." (Ps.45:7)

So let's get filled with the wine that doesn't give us a hangover -- Holy Spirit! He's the best high, the best party ever! Praise His Holy name. (ref. Eph. 5:18) I am so thankful that we can get filled as many times a day as we want. I want to give Him away to all the people I meet so I should keep filling up along the way.

Supernatural laughter is so refreshing! All our problems seem so small, even ridiculous as we focus on Him. Truly, in His presence there is fullness of joy! (Psalm 16:11)
Have a blessed day with Holy Spirit as you discover His joy over you!

No comments: