Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Run a Strife Check

I wrote this for the Facebook Group, "Come To The Table" May 17, 2013
"Run a Strife Check"
Scripture: 1 Pet 3:3-6

I remember the time I was praying and praying and getting no answers. I was getting really frustrated, asking, "God don't you care? Can't you see what's going on here?"

I sat down after my kids were in bed and said, "That's it! I'm not leaving this chair till you tell me what's going on and how I can change this situation."

I had no clue where to go so I opened my Bible and it fell open at the page where this verse jumped out at me, " Where there is envy and strife there is every evil work." (James. 3:16)

Hello! God had my attention now. I was so frustrated and upset with my husband I could spit. Not good I know, but he didn't want to talk to me so any hope of discussing the issue was postponed for the moment.

I asked Holy Spirit what the big deal was and he told me to go to 1 Pet. 3.... As I started reading, it resonated in my spirit. It reads, "Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as elaborate hairstyles and the wearing of gold jewelry or fine clothes. Rather, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God’s sight." (1 Pet 3:3-4)

That's a laugh. My Spirit was anything but gentle. I was born for war and I loved winning. A quiet spirit? Hmmm that needed some thought. How to have a quiet spirit....peaceful, content, relaxed where the connotations I got as I meditated on this verse.

I could see that I had some work ahead of me. I continued reading and then I got slammed by Holy Spirit as I read, "For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to adorn themselves. They submitted themselves to their own husbands, like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her lord. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear." (1 Pet 3:5&6)

Whoa, whoa, whoa! I couldn't believe God was telling me to defer or give in to my husband when he's wrong! I thought, "How stupid is that? I mean what's the point of having a brain if you're not allowed to use it!?"

Holy Spirit put up with my tirade for a bit and when I had quieted down he said it's a trust issue. You don't trust me enough to let me work on him for you. You're manipulating and controlling things to meet your own desires.

Nailed! Holy Spirit got me again. All I could say was, "You're right."

I had to start trusting Holy Spirit to work in my husband's life and not interfere. I wasn't allowed to control or manipulate situations to get what I wanted, no matter how much my flesh screamed. When I went to the Lord and complained, He responded, "Didn't you mean it when you said you wanted to be a living sacrifice for me? Didn't you mean it when you said that you would pay any price to carry my glory?"

He was right, I just wasn't expecting that my cross would be so hidden and inglorious.

So, while I was waiting for the Lord to work on my husband he was working on me. I learned how to go to him for strength for the day, for help when I didn't get the sleep I thought I needed, for comfort when I didn't get the support I thought I needed, for protection when we came under attack, for provision when the money ran out ahead of the bills, for good teaching when I was alone.

I can look back and thank God for all the hard times cause it's made me so much stronger in God. I know with certainty that there's a promise for every situation I'll ever face and that my God is backing me to the hilt. And Praise God I even found some scriptures to help me to become a gentler woman! Hallelujah!

So now when my prayers aren't getting answered I immediately ask the Lord where have I missed it or dishonored my leaders (husband, pastors, etc.) I've finally learned how to keep my heart with all diligence! Yahoo! God's good!

I hope my story helps you avoid some of the pitfalls I went through!

Bless you today!
Big hugs,
Brenda Gale Thompson

No comments: