Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Encouragement From The Vineyard


One day when I was discouraged about ministry opportunities that are not opening around here Holy Spirit told me to go pray upstairs.

When I got upstairs He told me to check out Matthew chapter 20, the parable of the the Workers in the Vineyard

"For the kingdom of heaven is like a landowner who went out early in the morning to hire men to work in his vineyard. He agreed to pay them a denarius for the day and sent them into his vineyard." (Matthew 20:1-3)

I understand this part. This is the route that many students take. They go to school to become pastors so they can work in the vineyard right away. That's what I wanted to do but the Lord said no. He wanted me to work for a season. I didn't think it would be for 23 years! Let's continue with the parable.

"About the third hour he went out and saw others standing in the marketplace doing nothing. He told them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard, and I will pay you whatever is right.' So they went. "He went out again about the sixth hour and the ninth hour and did the same thing. About the eleventh hour he went out and found still others standing around. He asked them, 'Why have you been standing here all day long doing nothing?' (Matthew 20: 3-6)

This is where my heart cringes. It might look like these men are "doing nothing" but I beg to differ. These poor guys have been waiting patiently in the market, enduring the judgmental, perhaps scornful looks of people passing by. They have their work gear on and they are acting enthusiastic, trying to get the Vineyard owner's attention so they will get picked next. I imagine by five p.m. their hopes are flagging. No one likes to be the last person picked on a team. Remember the anxiety you faced as a child trying not to be the last one picked? That happened to me far too many times. The rejection these men have endured is humiliating and they deserve credit for waiting this long. Most people in a casual work pool won't wait past 8:30 a.m. never mind enduring the heat and the looks till five p.m.

"'Because no one has hired us,' they answered. He said to them, 'You also go and work in my vineyard.'" (Matt 20: 7)

This is what I am waiting for. I have been diligent. I have been hoping and waiting and getting ready as Holy Spirit has led. I have three libraries full of books, teaching tapes and cds that Holy Spirit told me to study and testimonies that would fill a couple of books. Am I in the vineyard full time? No, not yet. I keep trying the doors, but none are opening, yet. I am wearing the right clothes and I am asking Holy Spirit to put the right perfume on me so I smell good to the Vineyard Owner. For sure, I am not taking the opportunities to get offended and quit.

"When evening came, the owner of the vineyard said to his foreman, 'Call the workers and pay them their wages, beginning with the last ones hired and going on to the first.' The workers who were hired about the eleventh hour came and each received a denarius. So when those came who were hired first, they expected to receive more. But each one of them also received a denarius. When they received it, they began to grumble against the landowner. 'These men who were hired last worked only one hour,' they said, 'and you have made them equal to us who have borne the burden of the work and the heat of the day.'" (Matthew 20: 8-12)

I see resentment from the earlier workers because they felt cheated. I wonder what is harder, to work all day with your job and your diploma and the respect of the people... or to wait, working a regular job with the hard work of keeping a dream alive over so many years? I think both are hard positions, but if you are where you are supposed to be, you will hear Holy Spirit say, "Well done," every day. I know that is what I am living for. Let's finish the parable.

"But he answered one of them, 'Friend, I am not being unfair to you. Didn't you agree to work for a denarius? Take your pay and go. I want to give the man who was hired last the same as I gave you. Don't I have the right to do what I want with my own money? Or are you envious because I am generous?' (Matthew 20:13-16)

So here's the kicker, we all get the same wages. In fact it seems totally unfair to the college grad that started in ministry right away. What was the point? I totally agree. If God isn't calling you to be a pastor or leader you don't want it. It's a heartbreaking job. Almost like being a parent multiplied a hundred times over.

This is where motives really tell. If they were doing it because Holy Spirit told them to, then they will hear His "Well done."

For those of us still waiting to be told, "Go work," this is really encouraging. He knows how long we have been waiting and He has not forgotten us!

I know I am called to do evangelistic crusades and God will open the door at the right time. In the mean time does anyone want to go street preaching, prophesying, and healing with me? I need prayer back up and a witness, in case something bad happens. LOL!

No comments: