Monday, October 3, 2011

Word and Spirit Balance


I had a great time on the weekend with a whole bunch of believers.  Holy Spirit was moving and we all got blessed.
As great as the spiritual visions and revelations are I want to encourage all believers to develop a rock solid foundation in the word of God.  You might ask why?  It's because there is supernatural power in the word of God to bring itself to pass in a believer's life. 

"His divine power has given us everything we need for life and godliness through our knowledge of him who called us by his own glory and goodness. Through these he has given us his very great and precious promises, so that through them you may participate in the divine nature and escape the corruption in the world caused by evil desires. "(1Pet. 1:3-4)

God wants us to walk like Jesus on the earth and this is the process.  We behold him in the word and we see stuff in us that we don't like. Instead of saying "I'm not going to do that anymore" and then fall when stressed, we want to replace it with a new, good habit.  

For example, let's say that I had a problem criticizing people and I realize that this is not pleasing to the Lord.  Then I want to reprogram my mind to react differently to the stimulus.  I can do this by decreeing God's word, "Thank you Lord that  I am full of the fruit of the spirit. I am quick to hear, slow to speak and very slow to become angry or offended."   This is how we transform our minds and it is a daily process. (ref. Gal 5:23, James 1:19)

"For this very reason, make every effort to add to your faith goodness; and to goodness, knowledge; and to knowledge, self-control; and to self-control, perseverance; and to perseverance, godliness; and to godliness, brotherly kindness; and to brotherly kindness, love. For if you possess these qualities in increasing measure, they will keep you from being ineffective and unproductive in your knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. "(2Pet. 1:5-8)

As we add God's promises to our lives, they will root out bad habits and change us from the inside out. This is how we renew our minds. (ref. Rom. 12:1-2)  This is how we become effective and productive in our knowledge of Jesus Christ, the anointed one and his anointing.

Another reason why we don't just want to live off of our visions, feelings or dreams is because the Lord didn't.  When Jesus was tempted in the wilderness he didn't respond to the devil with, "Well, I had this great vision saying that I was the son of God."  No,  he responded with, "It is written..."  (Matt.4:4,6,10)
If Jesus resisted the devil this way then we should too.

Here are some confessions that I wrote in 2000.  Feel free to use whichever ones will help you.

-Thank you Lord that no foul or polluting language comes out of my mouth but only speech that is good and beneficial to the spiritual progress of others that it may be a blessing and give grace to those who hear it. (ref. Eph. 4:29)
-Thank you Lord that we are developing an attitude of gratitude and it will raise our altitude.
-Thank you Lord that we don't offend anyone in speech, that we are becoming fully developed in character, able to control our whole bodies and to curb our entire nature. (James 3:2)

-Thank you Father that through Jesus I constantly and at all times offer up to you a sacrifice of praise. (Heb. 13:15)
Oh Lord, let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, Oh Lord, my rock and my redeemer. (Ps. 19:14)

-Thank You Lord so much for putting a guard on my mouth and tongue so that I will be kept from troubles. (Prov. 21:23)
-Thank you Father that I can sow good seed into my life and into other people's lives. Please lead me by your spirit to pray and say the right words so we can reap a huge, wonderful harvest. In Jesus' name I ask for your glory Lord. (ref. Luke 6:38, Gal. 6:7,9)

-Thank You Lord that it's only by your grace and mercy that I'm not doing 10x worse than ________________. (anyone else!!!)

-Thank You Lord that I stay humble. I don't want the pride of my heart to deceive me. (Obad. 1:3)

-Thank You Lord that You know the humble intimately, but the proud you know from far away. (ref. Ps. 138:6)

-Thank You Lord for the seeds in my life that will produce great blessings.  Help me to hang on to your promises (imagine, meditate and mutter them) and to watch the seed grow in Jesus' name. (Zech. 4;10)   -Thank you Lord that we do not slander/criticize or judge each other." (ref. James 4:11-12) 
-Thank you Lord that we don't judge another man's servant. We pray blessings on them instead. (Rom. 14:4)  
-Thank God for his mercy and grace!

I bless you with more of his love.  Thank you Jesus that your love is shed abroad in our hearts by Holy Spirit! (Rom. 5:5)

Big hugs,
Brenda Gale

No comments: