Monday, February 7, 2011

Wild Turkeys and Provision

 Highway shot. There were approximately 50 of them in two large groups.
All those black dots on the snow are wild turkeys.


Here's a close up two of them.  The ones I saw didn't have the pretty colors and were a bit darker so maybe this photo, that I grabbed off the net, is of birds further down south or during the mating season.

Anyhow, did you notice that there is nothing to eat except snow?  I mean look at these birds. They would probably weigh in between 8-10 lbs. each and could eat a  spaghetti can full of grain a day. We raised turkeys once upon a time and let me tell you, they can eat.

I can't figure it out. Where are they finding food?  All there is out there is snow and freezing cold temperatures.  They are a wonder to me.

Every time I see them God talks to me about the sparrow and how He is looking after them. If God can be bothered with sparrows, how much more interested is He in me?

"Are not two sparrows sold for a penny? Yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from the will of your Father. And even the very hairs of your head are all numbered. So don't be afraid; you are worth more than many sparrows.  (Matt. 10:29-31)

 He is extremely interested in each one of us. He has even counted the hairs on our heads.

Now, look at the turkeys.  They aren't worried about where tomorrow's food is coming from. They are just pecking around, a little here and a little there.  They aren't even that intelligent a bird. They squabble a lot and will chase each other around, expending tons of energy over a morsel of food or a stick.

If God can look after them with all their failings.. then I am sure He will look after each one of us.  He will make a way where there seems no way.  He will move Heaven and Earth on our behalf, in response to our prayers of faith.


"I was young and now I am old, yet I have never seen the righteous forsaken or their children begging bread. "(Ps. 37:25)
"The LORD himself goes before you and will be with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged." (Deut. 31:8)
"Even when I am old and gray, do not forsake me, O God, till I declare your power to the next generation, your might to all who are to come." (Psalm 71:18)  Amen! Those are good words to declare out loud.

Have a great day with Him!  I'm going to keep asking the Lord for encouraging words.  Praise God. He will even use a bunch of turkeys to talk to me. LOL.

No comments: