Sunday, July 10, 2011

Miracle In Our Orchard

The last few years we have had apple scab attack our apple trees.  This has been devastating as it takes a lot of fungicide spraying to control the fungus and we don't normally spray our orchard.

Last year we decided to go take the course required before we could by the fungicide, but when we found out it was going to cost us a couple of hundred dollars, we postponed it and then found out that there were not any more courses to take that summer.

It was a horrible crop last year.  The apples were the size of a walnut or smaller and black with split skins.  Most of them didn't ripen and we had only a couple of younger trees that were scab resistant. I ended up getting apples elsewhere so I could make apple crisps  for the freezer.

This year I was prepared to take the course and pay the substantial fee when my husband found out that we do not qualify to take the course because we are not a commercial orchard with farm income.

Well,  there was nothing else I could do.  All my options were exhausted.  So I told the Lord, "It's up to you. We have tried everything we can."

Every time I wanted to grumble I kept quiet.  Every time I wanted to get frustrated with all the mowing and maintenance I chose to Thank God that He was looking after it.  I ended up avoiding the orchard for a whole month.  You can imagine how tall the grass was!

I finally had to go cut the grass and as I was cutting I couldn't help but notice that most of the trees were scab free and the apples were looking really good on them. Could it be?  I told my husband and we went back to inspect the trees and we determined that almost all of them were scab free.

How does this happen?  I don't know.  Once the fungus is in the soil it's almost impossible to get rid of, even when you use an aggressive spraying regime.  We had nothing to spray with and we didn't want to destroy the trees and replant with scab resistant varieties.

All I know is that as I worship Him and exalt His name, He does stuff. Faith rests. It doesn't gripe.  Resting in faith is almost like giving up.... but you keep your confession lined up with His word and what you are believing for. 

We have the privilege of serving a great, loving God.  He is so awesome.  He can cleanse our land so easily.  He can cleanse our hearts just as easily-- if we will let Him.

On that note I want to encourage you to "Trust in the Lord with all your heart. Don't lean on your own understanding. In all your ways acknowledge His sovereignty and He will direct your steps." (ref. Prob. 3:5-6)

For us, He knows that we love to give hay-wagon rides through our orchard. He already knows how much fun we have walking through the orchard, fellow-shipping with Holy Spirit and enjoying all the fruit. He knows how many people will be blessed by our place. He knows!

Someone once said, "When God is all you have, then you have everything." That sums up life well.

I bless you today as you pursue Holy Spirit. May you know his sweet fellowship and communion more and more. Amen!

Big hugs,
Brenda Gale

No comments: