Thursday, July 29, 2010

Choices at Home

I was talking to a beautiful lady the other day. She is busy looking after her own three preteen girls and on top of that she is caring for two other preteens. So you can imagine how busy she is.

Yet when I went to her house it was tidy and clean and ready for company. I was amazed! "Where do you get the time?" I thought. She doesn't stop until the evening when they watch tv as a family.

I was telling her about what I've been learning about the Lord and that's when the cat got let out of the bag. She admitted, "I haven't done a Bible study in years, really."

The alarm bells went off in my head. She has all these beautiful children in her house and her spiritual gas tank is empty. You cannot give what you don't have.

I remember an older friend telling me once in confidence that she wished she had spent more time in the Word when her children were young. She really valued a tidy house and her three children kept her busy. You know how it goes. She didn't see the value in investing in herself spiritually. Now it's too late. You can't go back in time.

I never forgot her words. I wonder what the Bible has to say to help us? Let's read a bit.
"Now it happened as they went that He entered a certain village; and a certain woman named Martha welcomed Him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who also sat at Jesus' feet and heard His word. But Martha was distracted with much serving, and she approached Him and said, "Lord, do You not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Therefore tell her to help me." And Jesus answered and said to her, "Martha, Martha, you are worried and troubled about many things. "But one thing is needed, and Mary has chosen that good part, which will not be taken away from her." Luke 10:37-40

So the good part is to sit at Jesus' feet. Easy in theory, but how do we do this? I have 4 children, a husband, a farm and a full time job!

Priorities is the answer. I have to keep prioritizing my life and making hard decisions as the Lord leads. My house is not immaculate. It gets cleaned regularly, but on any given day it will look lived in. I want to get a wall hanging that says "The house was cleaned yesterday. Too bad you missed it." I will not be embarrassed or feel shame because of what other women say or think because they see some mess or dirt. If the Lord approves, who are they to say anything?

To help free up some time I have trained my children to help. We all do the laundry (does it ever end?) LOL. If someone is doing the dishes then another one will go feed the horses.

In addition, I rely on teaching cds. I play them in the kitchen when I am cooking, baking and cleaning up. I play them in the car and try to remember the scripture references, or I make notes at stop lights.
cd player is there!

You probably won't believe it but I have a Bible in my bathroom. Sometimes life is very hectic! I make moments to be with the Lord and then I chew on a scripture verse while I am working.

Over the years the Lord has weeded out many hobbies and crafts from my life. It's all about choices. I can't remember when the last time was that I watched a whole movie. Many of the crafts I used to do I have given away.

He's worth it. He's worth it. One snapshot of Heaven, one miracle healing, one word of knowledge that turns a person's life around... it's worth it all.

So how did I start? One baby step at a time as the Lord led me. He'll lead you too. It might start out with a devotional in the morning then maybe a teaching cd on the way to work. He'll show you. He wants this for you more than you can ever know. I've been working on holiness for 20+ years, so don't compare yourself to me. Just begin where you are. I promise Holy Spirit will help you.

"Evening and morning and at noon I will pray, and cry aloud, And He shall hear my voice." Ps. 55:17 That's a good goal to have. Try to talk to the Lord and read the word, even one verse three times a day. Also, make sure you ask Him what He would like you to say or do. Have fun! Your life will never be the same!

Remember, embarrassment is a big one for us ladies. Many ladies don't want company if the house is not tidy enough because of fear of judgment. I have had it happen to me. I refuse to let anyone or anything dictate my life. If Holy Spirit approves, then I am not going to worry about people. If they judge me because the house isn't clean enough, too bad. It's their problem. I say, "Lord help them. They don't know what they are doing." Amen?

So many people have come to my place and been helped because there was good food around and my spiritual gas tank was full, so the gifts were flowing. When I started this journey I had no miracles, healing, or prophesy operating in my life. They came as I made choices and pressed into Jesus. Looking back at the decisions I have made, I can say they have been well worth while. I hope you are able to say the same thing down the road.

Let's pray. Thank You Lord for encouraging my friend. May they realize how You long for fellowship with them. Give them a hunger for Your word and for You and help them to make the right choices in their lives. Help them to pray in tongues more and thus build themselves up in their most Holy faith. (Jude 20).  Amen! I decree that you are blessed and Highly favored by the greatest king of all, JESUS!

No comments: