Monday, September 5, 2011

Hospitality


Hospitality is a big part of my life.  I really enjoy having friends over and I regularly help at church functions.  You can usually find me in the kitchen or serving food.

As our churches grow I am finding that volunteering is one of the ways to better get to know people.  It's hard to build relationships when we meet,  have church then take off right away.  I am finding that to build trust I have to build relationships first.  I can't expect trust where there is no relationship happening.  As I know a person better, I feel I can trust them more and more.

I had a couple of nice chats with a few ladies in the kitchen yesterday and it just confirmed that I am in the right place.  I bring my ministry gifts wherever I go.  I can give an encouraging word wherever I am.

I remember a time when the wife of our guest speaker came into the kitchen and helped us do the dishes after pot luck.  We tried to tell her that we would do it, but she wanted to stay and help.  She was such a blessing and we got to ask her questions about ministry and the adventures she had been on.

She really encouraged my daughter to go to bible college.  She made quite an impact on us.  So many people want to be served, and yet this great lady was helping us clean up.

I never forgot it.  I try to lead by example too.

My pastors are great servants.  Many times I have seen them working behind the scenes or helping with the food while others are blissfully unaware of what's going on.  Somehow we get it all worked out and people get to eat and everybody is happy.   It's a joy that stretches us at times!

Anyhow,  that's my thought for the day.  Blessed are the volunteers, because God is rewarding them!  We can never out give God and as we are faithful in the little things He will add to us the bigger things.

"Thank You Lord that we are growing in favor with you and with people.  Thank You Lord that Your light is shining brightly through us!  Thank You Lord for using us today.  May we always be available to give an encouraging word or a empathetic ear to those around us.  Thank You Lord for anointing all the work of our hands. I decree more creativity and blessings flowing through our hands from now on. Amen!"

Bless you more than before, in Jesus' name!
Big hugs,
Brenda Gale Thompson

P.S. "If anyone wants to be first, he must be the very last, and the servant of all." (Mark 9:35)

No comments: