Monday, September 19, 2011

The Power of Communion

 I want to share a new insight that the Lord has given me concerning communion.  Let's read the back ground text first.

1Cor. 11:23-26     "For I received from the Lord what I also passed on to you: The Lord Jesus, on the night he was betrayed, took bread, and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."  (vs23-24)

In the same way, after supper he took the cup, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in my blood; do this, whenever you drink it, in remembrance of me." For whenever you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until he comes. (vs. 25-26)

I used to take communion at home when the Lord led me to.   It was a way of cleansing myself from sin and reaffirming that I was His.  The Lord kept highlighting to me that I was doing this 'in remembrance of him' and I started to wonder what that meant besides the obvious.  I wasn't getting it!

Then I read the next part we are to "proclaim the Lord's death till he comes." (vs, 26)  What was the big deal about this statement?

As I meditated on it and asked the Lord why he was highlighting this to me it came to me that I really don't remember my covenant as well as I should.  He took all my sickness and gave me his divine health. (ref. 1Pet. 2:24) He took all my poverty and gave me all his abundance. (3John 2, Phl. 4:19)  He took all my guilt and gave me his peace of mind (ref. Rom. 8:11)  He took all my anxiety and gave me his plans and strategies (James 1:5, Ps. 112:4)  He took my orphan spirit and placed me in his family (ref. Rom 8:15, Heb. 13:5, Gal. 3:26)

Part of remembering our covenant is to enforce what it means.  If I know that healing was purchased for me on the cross of Calvary then I have no business allowing a cold or sickness to attack me.  I need to aggressively declare that sickness can't dwell in my body.  Some people calling this action "resisting the enemy."  (ref. James 4:9, 1Pet. 5:9)

If I know that God took all my poverty on the cross so that I could have abundance then I need to resist poverty, lack and famine with the word of God.  He wishes above all things that I might prosper and be in health even as my soul prospers. (3John 2) This includes finances.

If Jesus took all the judgement that we deserved so that we could have his peace then we need to enforce the victory that he won for us with promises from the word of God.  He is our peace! (Eph. 2:14) There is no condemnation anymore... correction yes, because he wants us to grow more and more like him, but never any condemnation. (Rom 8:29, 2 Tim 3:16-17)

We are his ambassadors now. We are a chosen people, a royal priesthood, a holy nation, a people belonging to God, that you may declare the praises of him who called you out of darkness into his wonderful light. (ref. 2 Cor. 5:20, 1 Pet. 2:9)

Communion has taken on a whole new meaning for me.  Now I know that the Lord wants me to reaffirm who I am in him and all that he purchased for me... aggressively.

May I encourage you to start taking communion at home and to really think about all that Jesus did for you?  He wants this for us.  The Bible says that all creation is awaiting the revealing of the sons of God that it might be delivered from it's bondage (ref. Rom 8:19-21)  Time is getting short.  It's up to us now. We are the generation that will stand for all he wants to do in the earth.

I bless you in Jesus' name.  May you know his love more deeply, may you walk with him more closely and may you hear his "well done" every day, In Jesus' name I ask. Amen!

I bless you abundantly; physically, mentally, financially, spiritually and relationally.
Big hugs,
Brenda Gale Thompson

Photo courtesy of photobucket.com

1 comment:

Unknown said...

AWESOME!!!!!!! Thank you for this teaching. GOD BLESS YOU.