Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Waiting Patiently, Muddy and All


 1 I waited patiently for the LORD;
   he turned to me and heard my cry.
2 He lifted me out of the slimy pit,
   out of the mud and mire;
he set my feet on a rock
   and gave me a firm place to stand.
3 He put a new song in my mouth,
   a hymn of praise to our God.

Many will see and fear the LORD
   and put their trust in him.
(Psalm 40:1-3 italics mine)

I love this Psalm because it is so encouraging.  The author has been in a slimy pit, in the mud and mire. Have you ever been in a slimy pit?  Maybe not a physical one, but how about a situation where no matter what you say people misunderstand you?  That's no fun for sure.

How about finding yourself in some mud or mire?    Maybe not physically but how about the gossip that people throw at you?  All the innuendos,  the slurs and slams behind your back.  It hurts and it sticks to you just like mud.

Have you ever been mired in a messy situation? You might not have done anything wrong except be in the wrong place at the wrong time.  These situations can weigh heavily on your mind and steal your peace, your joy and even your sleep.

This Psalm promises that if we will wait on the Lord, He will lift us out of the mire and put us on the rock.  That means so much to me because God does not change and He has exalted His word above all things. (Mal. 3:6, Ps. 138:2) He will lift us out of the mud and the mire (verse 2).

If we will wait on the Lord, muddy or not, He will make it right.  And while we are waiting, let's go after the  spirit of leviathan that causes people to misunderstand us and jump to wrong conclusions. Let's claim, clear, open communication without hidden agendas, in all our relationships and Let's ask for a great guard on our mouths and our lips.

Let's declare some good words: "Thank You Lord that Your words of love, grace, mercy and power flow through us all the time. Thank You Lord for camaraderie and mutual respect in all our relationships. Show us how to ask clarifying questions where there is opportunity for offense. Teach us to extend grace to all the people we meet.  Amen."

Verse three does come to pass.  He has put a New Song in my mouth every time I was in mud, mire or a pit.  He is faithful!  What He's done for me He will do for you! Hallelujah!

No comments: