Monday, January 17, 2011

Sunday School Yesterday & How to Start Prophesying


Sunday school went really well yesterday.  We had a fairly short class and since the girls have been going over the basis of prophesy I thought we would focus on how to get ready to give a word.

First we praise and worship and stay thankful because that's how we draw the manifest presence of God around us.  Also, He inhabits or is enthroned in the praises of His people (ref Ps. 100:4, 22:3)

Second,  we pleaded the blood of Jesus over us and asked the Lord to show us if there was any sin that would hinder us from hearing His voice (ref. Is. 59:2).

Third, we checked to make sure our motives were right. We want to bless and encourage people.

Fourth, we asked the Lord to "shed His love abroad in our hearts".  (Rom. 5:5)

Fifth, we asked the Lord to give us a word to encourage someone and asked Holy Spirit to confirm the word to them when we shared it.

Then I went on say that when we are in public places, we can ask the Lord to highlight someone to us. Sometimes, my eyes will be drawn to a person over and over again.  Other times I will see a person and immediately a word pops into my head. Sometimes, I will look at someone and  get a feeling of hurt, anxiety, or pain and I know God wants me to go talk to them.

These are just some of the ways God will highlight a person that He wants you to share with.  So keep asking clarifying questions and don't  let fear grip you.  The Bible says that the righteous are as bold as a lion.  "God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of love, power and a sound mind." (ref. Prov. 28:1, 2Tim. 1:7)

When you go up to a person  always ask their permission to share the word you got from the Lord with them.  I have only been refused once in many years and I think that was because they were in a hurry and thought I was going to take too long.

When speaking to the person leave out all the Christian jargon that they might not understand.

If they are broken up because of the word you gave, ask the Lord what to do next.  Sometimes, I have been allowed to pray for people right in the grocery store!  If they do not want prayer that is perfectly all right. You have planted some supernatural seed into their lives. I always carry million dollar bills that I give out before I leave.  They have the gospel message on the back and when they are ready I know Holy Spirit will use the words on the tract.

We then practiced giving words of prophesy.  The Bible says to prophesy in proportion to your faith (Rom 12:6) so  we picked a man we didn't know and asked the Lord for one word each for him.

After praying for a minute each of the girls got a different word for him.  I wrote down what they said in point form and asked the Lord and them if they wanted to elaborate.  It was really good stuff.

I was so blessed to see the willingness of these girls that I asked them if we could do one more person.  There had been a man at the front of the church that I felt to go hug at the beginning of service and I didn't because of protocol.  (See how easily fear can shut you down?)  Anyhow,  I wanted to somehow make it up to him so the girls and I prayed and we got some neat words.

One of the girls got the word 'coffee' and I thought, "Coffee what?"  Immediately I heard that the Lord likes having coffee with him.   So I put that together with the other words and the girls were able to add more thoughts to the words they got.  It was awesome.

We gave the prophesies to the resepective men  and  I found out that the 'coffee' man said that the word was bang on for him.  Isn't God amazing?   You should see how excited these young girls are to teach the Sunday service how to prophesy!  That's going to be an interesting service.

Let me pray for you now:  "Lord I ask that You would help this precious person to share  Your words of encouragement and love with others.  Give them lots of words to share and the boldness and compassion to do it well.  We give you all the glory for what You have already started to do in them. Amen!

P.S.  Make sure you write down all your exploits in your notebook.  Then you can ask the Lord questions about each prophetic encounter later on.  There are always ways we can improve. Also, you will have lots of encouragement to get you excited to go out again.

No comments: